Have you ever stopped to think why we do ironing? Why do we iron and press our clothes? I’m sure you’re all thinking that it’s because we need to get the wrinkles and creases out. Sure, but why is that important? Why is that we are not acceptable human beings if our clothing isn’t pressed? Surely this is just a symbol of status and it’s quite ridiculous.
If we didn’t have to iron and press our clothes, we’d actually be using less of the worlds resources;
- we wouldn’t be wasting energy (mostly electricity) on heating up irons
- we wouldn’t have to make irons (mostly made in far away countries, using metals and plastics, then wrapped in plastic and a box and then shipped all over the world)
- we wouldn’t have to make ironing boards
- we wouldn’t have to dispose of old irons and ironing boards
- companies couldn’t sell the vast range of aids and sprays that they do
- we’d have more money and more time to devote to better things